THE ALMOND DOUBLER FOR UNIX
The First Transparent File Compression Utility for UNIX Using the Famous STAC LZS Algorithm
Imagine that you can double your disk storage capacity without adding any new hardware to your system!
The Almond Doubler For UNIX version 1.0 provides you with the capability to manually or automatically compress programs and/or data files using the proven and reliable STAC LZS algorithm, and then automatically expand files on the fly, when needed. Compressed files look like ordinary UNIX files to all application programs, users and/or other utilities. The Almond Doubler works transparently to your normal operations. The only diffference is typically doubling the amount of available space on your disk drives.
The Almond Doubler uses standard UNIX file system technology and does not modify your system kernel or hardware in any way. It supports any disk hardware you are currently using and does not add any device drivers to your system. Installation is simple and does not even require rebooting your system.
Unlike traditional compression utilities which require you to manually decompress files before they can be read again, The Almond Doubler provides transparent, "on-the-fly" data expansion. You can compress any program or data file, and when it is opened again it will be automatically decompressed and returned to its original size and format without any user action or intervention required.
Compress Files Automatically as a Background Task
* Complete flexibility over when, where and why files will or will not be compressed.
* Choose when files will be compressed, by time of day or whenever the cpu is idle.
* Allows user specified directories or file names and patterns to be excluded from automatic compression.
* Files larger or smaller than user specified parameters can be left uncompressed.
Manual File Compression and Expansion Utility
* Compress or expand specific files at any time.
Uses the Industry Standard STAC LZS Compression Algorithm
* Proven, reliable data compression algorithm in use on tens of millions of PC systems.
* Average compression ratio of 2:1 or more (may vary depending on file type and contents).
* More efficient compression than offered by compress or ZIP algorithms.
* Data integrity is checked before and after compression to ensure no loss of data.
Create Compressed Archive Files
* Multiple files can be combined into a single compressed archive file.
* Individual files can be extracted from the compressed archive as the user desires.
* Self Expanding Utility included that may be copied and distributed at no additional cost with compressed archives or files. Perfect for distributing software on diskette or across a network.
Flexible Support for Backup Programs
* User selectable option to automatically expand files during system backup, or leave data in its compressed state.
* Command-line interface provided to allow backup option to be selected from a shell script or cron job.
* Solaris 2.4 (or higher) Operating System for SPARC
* Motif library support
* Hard disk with at least 6 MB free space
* 3.5 inch diskette or CD-ROM drive
* Graphical User Interface using Motif
* All standard UNIX UFS file systems
* Multiple users, file systems and disk drives on a single CPU
List Price US$495.00
Quantity, VAR and Distributor discounts are available.
444 CASTRO STREET, SUITE 440
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CALIFORNIA 94041 USA
TEL +1 415 968 5100
FAX +1 415 969 8670
Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. STAC and LZS are registered trademarks of STAC Electronics Corporation, used under license by AlmondSeed Software Inc. AlmondSeed and The Almond Doubler are trademarks of AlmondSeed Software Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective holder/s. (c)1996 AlmondSeed Software Inc. All Rights Reserved DS-005-12/96
Look at on-line documentation for The Almond Doubler for UNIX
Return to AlmondSeed's Home Page
Return to AlmondSeed's Home Page
Copyright © 1996 AlmondSeed Software Inc.